Topics: Using config files
What are config files
As a last topic I would like to take a look at the usage of config files. First of all we have to establish what a config file is. The Wikipedia definition definition is precise and easy to understand: configuration files (or config files) are files used to configure the parameters and initial settings for some computer programs.
In our case we can use a config file to organize and speed up the process of creating members of our magical universe.
Advantages of config files
Using configuration files has many benefits. A few of them are:
- Config files allow us to separate our code from the parameters the code depends on.
- When a program uses many different parameters, config files make it easier to organize the parameters.
- Also, config files make it easier to cooperate with people who can’t code. When the parameters are saved in a separate file, anyone can specify desired parameter values and run the code.
- Config files can be used independently of the programming language our program runs in.
- Config files can be used as a kind of documentation. For example, when a config file is used to store the parameters of a machine learning model, saving the config file together with the trained model documents the parameter values used.
YAML and JSON
There are different languages that can be used for creating config files. Major ones are JSON and YAML. I prefer using yaml because yaml config files are very readable and easy to compose. If you are interested in the differences between the two formats you can check out this link.
To create a yaml file we first have to install PyYAML using
pip install pyyaml. Afterwards, we can create a config file by using the ending
.yaml, as in
config.yaml. The syntax of the file looks as follows:
bromley: name: 'Bromley Huckabee' birthyear: 1959 sex: 'male' lissy: name: 'Lissy Spinster' birthyear: 2008 sex: 'female' start_year: 2020 pet: ['Ramses', 'cat']
Creating members of the Magical Universe using a config file
In order to use our
config.yaml file to create new Magical Universe members, we have to open and load the file. After that, we can easily instantiate new members of the different classes:
import yaml from magical_universe import CastleKilmereMember, Pupil if __name__ == "__main__": with open('config.yaml', 'r') as c: config = yaml.load(c) bromley = CastleKilmereMember(**config['bromley']) print(bromley) lissy = Pupil(**config['lissy']) print(lissy)
This speeds up the process of creating new members a lot! Also, we don’t have to type the names, birthyears, etc. over and over again. Once they are specified in the config file we can reuse them as often as we like.